"Smart" meters are really "stupid" meters. Why? Because they overcharge you, broadcast your energy usage, emit electromagnetic radiation and create extreme electromagnetic fields ("dirty electricty") that can cause cancer, damage your DNA, catch fire, and disable your shock prevention devices. Need any more reasons?
Now, what can YOU do to stop them?
1. Wherever you live, in Georgia or elsewhere:
If you don't have a "smart" meter yet, please do this immediately: Put up a sign that says "DO NOT REPLACE METER. We refuse the "smart" meter due to safety, health, and privacy issues." Tape the sign, in a gallon ziploc, under your safe, analog meter. Please tell your family, friends, and neighbors to do the same, and watch out for each other. It's a lot easier to not get one in the first place than it is to get rid of one! And don't believe any rigamarole that "you have to get one." YOU DON"T! Federal law (Federal Energy Policy Act of 2005) says only that you can have a "time-based meter" if you ask for one.
2. DEFEND your analog meter! Staying at home, or having someone appointed by you to do this during the installation period (typically 2-3 weeks), is an assurance against trespassing. Property owners and renters can ask anyone at any time to leave their property. Please see "Defend Your Analog Meter" at http://stopsmartmeters.org/defend-your-analog-meter-main-index/.
3. WRITE (email@example.com) and call (800-282-5813) the Georgia Public Service Commission (GPSC). Tim Echols is now chairman of the commission (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. If you have a smart meter and have been suffering health impacts, go to your doctor and get written documentation, submit a complaint the to GPSC at the above webpage and submit a complaint to SmartMeterHelp.com. You can also tell your story on EMF Safety Network.
5. POST a “Smart” Meter Free Zone sign on both your electric and your gas meter, and throughout your neighborhood on utility poles and in front yards etc. Click here to download pdf and then print it out: StopSmartMetersSign.
6. WARN your neighbors that smart meters are coming and pass out leaflets and “Smart Meter Free Zone” signs. Here is a page to help you create your own flyer: http://stopsmartmeters.org/smart-meter-flyer-resources-make-your-own/.
If the utility company or their agents come around to install, ask them to leave and if they don’t comply call the police and report a trespasser. You have the right to get anyone (apart from a cop with a warrant) off your property (regardless of whether you rent or own). You have a right to a radiation-free home! And remember, the power company has the right to read the meter, but you OWN the box around it.
7. Support the passage of Senate Bill 459. Please get involved in calling representatives to explain the dangers of "smart" meters, and why we should have a free opt out option, at the very least.
8. Speak out! Visit your local city council or county commissioners' meeting and speak out about why "smart" meters are a terrible idea, due to their radiation and extreme electromagnetic field ("dirty electricity") creation, among other things. You will probably be allowed five minutes to speak. We can help you prepare!
9. REDUCE your EMF exposure by changing or eliminating your cell phone usage, and curtailing the use of cordless phones, wifi, microwave ovens, baby monitors, compact fluorescent lightbulbs etc. If you already have a ‘smart’ meter you have the right to have it removed.
10. DEMAND that your city/ county pass an ordinance banning ‘smart’ meters. More than 50 jurisdictions have demanded a halt to smart meter installation, and more are considering taking action.